Friday Nights Lights is a non-competitive, all-skills-welcome, inclusive and fun fat bike ride. That is not to say there isn't a winner each and every week. Thanks to this instructional piece, you'll have the skills and the knowledge to taste the sweet, delicious victory that is on offer every FNL.
1. Hold the door. People might think you're just being polite, and of course you are. But there's more to it. Holding the door before the ride starts give you a comprehensive look at all the potluck dishes being brought for the after-party. With the potluck theme changing every week, you're going to want a sneak peak at who brought what; did Don bring fruit salsa? Where are the cookies? Did Bill's wife make those really good pumpkin tarts? Hold the door and you'll know the lay of the land way before you've grabbed your plate and disposable table ware.
2. Volunteer to lead a short group. Take a turn getting some new riders and slower folks out onto the trails. A shorter, thirty to forty minute ride is a nice change of pace after a long week of work, and you're going to meet a whole bunch of cool people riding with a different group than usual. Even more important, though, you'll be the first back to the lodge and won't have to worry about returning to see the best foods picked over or even gone! PRO TIP: If you still want to get a workout in, go ride before, get in an hour, and keep it rolling once the official ride starts at 6:30.
3. Stick around to clean up. There are a few regular FNLers who haven't bought groceries since December. Seriously. While everyone is encouraged to take whatever is left of their dish with them, some people don't pay attention and leave bucket tons of delectables ripe for the pickings Squash. Bread. Roasts. MEATBALLS. It's not a bad idea to line your pockets with XL Zip Loc baggies and just stuff those suckers full.
4. Bring forks. We always forget them. Always. It's not uncommon to see Dan, Ben, Lowetz and Mike Starostanko all share a single fork at FNL, partly because they're really close, but also because there's a freakin' forking shortage.
5. Don't miss them. There are just two FNLs left this season, with Heritage Night on February 3 and Food Pun Night on February 24.